Monday, June 15, 2009

Summer Vacay...

I have to admit that I wasn't looking forward to being home with the boys this summer; I was afraid I couldn't keep them busy, so to speak, and give them some structure to keep up on their studies. Mostly I was nervous, because they are almost 5 years apart and have different interest, but here we are, and it is not as bad I had anticipated. So far, we are having fun. I try to organize one main daily event; a walk, playing soccer in the backyard, lunch-time picnics with Dad, going to the library, etc. I am only one week in, but so far so good(ish). There have been meltdowns and moodiness abound, but with some gently guidance, they push through it. I'm trying to instill in them a sense of perseverance. They seem to give up too easily and that saddens me (and Mies). We are working on it.
For the most part, despite their age difference, the boys get along. There are times when Andrew gets overwhelmed or over stimulated and he needs some down time from everything which is hard for Aidan to fully understand. Aidan feels rejected. I try to explain that sometimes people need some quiet place to retreat to, but Aidan may not be old enough to fully comprehend this. He is learning and I've been helping Aidan by taking Andrew's times for quiet as time that Aidan and I can have together. Time when we can work on writing letters and numbers, reading story books and laughing. Aidan has a belly laugh that is indeed infectious. Please don't misunderstand, I do have time alone with Andrew, too. We share many funny stories, too. And don't get me started on his laughter... :)
So, I have to say, that for all my trepidation, things are going well. And I'm looking forward to see what tomorrow brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment