Friday, June 4, 2010

Disturbing

I cannot stomach the thought of this "autism drug" development. Why do we need a drug for a pervasive disorder? Autism is not a disease like cancer, which is the other types of drugs this company develop. I don't really even classify autism as a disorder, more of a condition, Autism Spectrum Condition.
What I find most disturbing is that this drug isn't anywhere near a trial phase and parents are "excited" about it?!? They want to subject their children to drug trials, use them as guinea pigs? That is just crazy, no? To those parents, I say, gee, I'm really sorry your kid isn't 'normal', but who is normal and what kind of normalcy are you wanting your child to be? Love your child [period].
We have many challenges with Andrew, but we love him and support him and give him every opportunity to thrive and succeed. Yes, he sees the world differently, but is that a BAD thing? I embrace his uniqueness and through him I've even changed how I see the world. He is an inspiration, a gentle soul, a loving child, and he's perfect the way that he is; he doesn't need to fit into some mold of mythological uniformity!
People, please, love your child [period]. Help them to reach their potential on their terms. Feed their interests, seek out therapies, help them make sense of the world, their world. Don't try to shove a pill down their throats in order to become something they are not meant to be, something "normal". Let go of normal, throw it away, accept being different...it's a good thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment