Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Dumbfounded..no other way to describe...

I was completely dumbfounded today, when Andrew tells me that he couldn't finish an essay test that he had today. He had to write an essay (3 - 4 sentences) on explain what a leader is/and does for community, or some such nonsense. I wasn't dumbfounded that he couldn't, having HFA, conceptualize what being a leader is, because for him, and many others in the spectrum, that is a fairly abstract concept (roles in society, or many similar ideas, even though they've been "taught" these roles in conventional education, does NOT mean they understand them. Many societal aspects of our culture, including communicating are lost on people with autism...THEY DO NOT GET IT!!!Not to say they never will, but don't assume) ; I was dumbfounded with his teacher for not allowing Andrew to be pulled out for this type of assignment. And here is why: Mies and I just sat in a meeting last Thursday, with his teacher, the principal, the school psychologist, the school speech therapist AND the ISD's autistic coordinator, about Andrew and what the school can do to allow him to succeed. Some major terms that were placed in his revised 504 plan were that he have writing assignments modified, that he be allowed as use of a "scribe" (i.e. an aid who he can give answers to orally and that person write down or once he expressed his ideas out loud someone to assist with formulating his ideas into sentences.), AND to be pulled out of the classroom and allowed EXTRA time on these type of assignments. Did his teacher allow for ANY of these modifications for him.....NO! And what do I hear, from my son, the minute I pick him up from school..and trust me folks, Andrew doesn't share much with us...that he had a "bad day", that he failed a writing test, that he's stupid and dumb. Well, isn't that the best thing your child can say to you about his day. So, instead of allowing him some kind of modification in an area he struggles in, he is set up to fail.
Now I can here some nay-sayers telling me that in life we need to know failure in order to learn from it, but what if that is ALL he is learning. Where is the positive, why did I sit there in that meeting with those people, only to hear that today it's the SAME OLD SHIT! This infuriates me. I've explained to his teacher, until I'm blue in the face, that one of the deficits (for lake of a better word, it is 2:12 AM people) for people with autism is socialization, the rules of socialization, the roles of socialization. These are things that for most people are learned early on in our lives. We learn as infants watching people interact with one another. But for those with autism, these things are not learned norms of behavior they are abstract ideas. They CAN be learned, but individuals on the spectrum need to work at it. It's is like they have a social disability. So, why can't his teacher understand this?
In order to prevent this from happening in the future, I found some books that I may have to purchase for the school. One book is by Paula Kluth titled, "You're Going to Love This Kid!": Teaching Students with Autism in the Inclusive Classroom. I may even make a bib. of books and websites for next years teacher, so she can review them over the summer. I know teachers don't have much time during the school year, but hopefully she can review some of the items over the summer. I didn't do this for Andrew this year, because his teacher, who has worked with him before, as a long term sub, and with after-school and summer programs, claimed she knew how to help him succeed. But as the year has progressed, I think she has failed him. And I can almost guarantee that she is aware of this, most insightful teachers are, but I cannot ASSUME.

No comments:

Post a Comment