Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Meeting

As Mies and I are preparing for Andrew's new 504 Plan meeting, I keep coming across information to use for the meeting. We want to stress that Andrew is an intelligent young man, however he perceives the world differently then the "average" student and learns differently as well. I came across this quote from Jim Sinclair, from his article Don't Mourn for Us, way back in 1993 that is still a great guide today. Sinclair is describing what Mies and I feel to be true about our son, and what so many people miss when they speak of a "cure" for autism.
Here is the quote, "Autism isn't something a person has, or a "shell" that a person is trapped inside. There's no normal child hidden behind the autism. Autism is a way of being. It is pervasive; it colors every experience, every sensation, perception, thought, emotion, and encounter, every aspect of existence. It is not possible to separate the autism from the person--and if it were possible, the person you'd have left would not be the same person you started with."

As a parent I did struggle with this for a long time. I did mourn not having a "normal" child, but really, in my heart, I couldn't love Andrew any better if he were "normal". He brings new meaning to my life and through him I've learned to look at things differently. He has broadened my view on the world and I cannot wait to watch him grow and change over the years, just as he is, as Andrew, my son.

No comments:

Post a Comment