Friday, January 29, 2010

Solo

I'm a "single" Mom this week. Mies is visiting his Dad and Joan in Las Cruces, NM, prior to attending the Electronic Resources & Libraries conference in Austin, TX. Although, it has added extra to my plate, I'm a very excited that he is attending this year and am hopeful that he will walk away with some useful information and some new contacts. Plus, I'm happy that  he is spending time with his Dad and Joan. Also, while he's there, he can catch up on his reading/writing for his comprehensive exams.
I cannot say enough how proud I am of Mies. He has been working hard at home, work, school these past several years. I know it hasn't been easy for him to work full-time, help raise a family and work toward his PhD, but he is doing it! There are many times that he wants to throw it all in, but he doesn't. I know he struggles with the balancing act between the three and I try my best to cover the home detail for him, but I know I could do better.
That is another reason, I'm happy Mies attended this conference, it gives me time to get back into the home aspect. What I mean is, since I've taken the full-time Head Librarian gig at Finlandia, I've been focused on learning the job, doing my daily librarian and administrative duties (which are many), as well as meeting the goals of the strategic plan and devising a new plan for the future. This is not to say that I've haven't been helping at home or with the boys, but that with the new gig, comes new responsibilities. Working longer hours, coming home exhausted, but still being there to help with dinner, homework, baths, etc. for the boys. And cleaning the house, which I must admit is where I'm slipping, a bit. So, this week is allowing me to reevaluate the domestic side of my life. I guess, I can balance more than I thought I could. Multitasking isn't one of my strong suits, because I tend to lose focus easily and end up with many tasks that I never quite see to the end. Ok, I'm rambling...sorry.
Long story short, this week will be good for both Mies and I. But I still miss him.

No comments:

Post a Comment